Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Dragon Age 3

Since I haven't been following the news, I'm a bit late to comment on Dragon Age 3.  Firstly, that it will exist, which is a surprise enough in itself.

After that, the announcements that state that it will not only continue to involve a voiced protagonist, but also another "I said what?!" inaccurate-paraphrase dialogue wheel were enough to make me stop reading right there.  Those two things alone are symptoms enough to make a diagnosis.  I predict, based on those elements, that it will also include loads and loads of non-interactive cutscenes.  It's baffling, but I'm glad at least that they're bold enough to come out and admit that they're just plowing on ahead in that direction that their metrics interpretations have chosen for them.  It saves me a lot of time and trouble to know in advance that Dragon Age 3 does not concern me at all.

At the early planning stages of Dragon Age 2, after having enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins, I was very interested in the news, and vocal about my concerns about their direction, but that turned out to be a waste of my time in light of all the good it did.  I myself don't need a weathervane to know which way the wind blows.

Dragon Age 3 will come out at some point, but I expect I'll be busy having fun with games that are actually made in a style that I like, such as Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity, and the more recent Spiderweb Software games.  I'm finished hoping that games that have become something else will get back to what attracted me to them in the first place.  What happens in Thedas will stay in Thedas, and it's quite likely that it won't be happening to me.

2 comments:

  1. Didn't even know it was announced until I read this blog...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a day after it was announced, I hear that the two founders of Bioware, the doctors, have retired.

      Delete